01 October 2012

On Being Chinese Malaysian

Edited from an article by Dorcas Lam

.... I proudly call myself a Chinese Malaysian because I am a native of Malaysia with a Chinese ancestry. I am first and foremost a Malaysian, and Chinese is an adjective that describes my cultural heritage. Since multiculturalism is that which makes Malaysia so unique, using an adjective to complement my national identity as a Malaysian is a celebration of this diversity.

Why should I be deprived of the right to call myself a full Malaysian? And why must I be forced to identify myself with the nation of China when I have never even set foot on Chinese soil? I pledge my allegiance to no other flag but the Jalur Gemilang.

To those who frequently tell us Chinese Malaysians to balik tongsan, let me tell you that my tongsan is Kuala Lumpur because I was born here and I have spent all my life here, with many more to come, Lord willing. I believe that I have every right to call myself a Malaysian, and I will certainly not give in to anyone who attempts to rob me of my proud identity as a Chinese Malaysian.

Read more here:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...